A lifelong resident of Southern Oregon, Alan DeBoer has dedicated his life to serving our community. From his time as a student at Ashland High School, to serving in the Oregon National Guard, to working at his family's auto dealership, to decades of public service including four years as Mayor of Ashland, Alan iran for State Senate to enhance our quality of life.
As Mayor of Ashland, Alan helped build a new library and fire station, funded critical public works projects and improved the highway through town. When Alan learned that Rogue Community College (RCC) needed new building space in Medford, he helped RCC purchase vacant property previously owned by his car dealership. He even donated a renovated historic building to RCC in downtown Medford, transforming the downtown core and increasing access to higher education in the community.
Alan is committed to reining in out-of-control spending to make sure your tax dollars are spent efficiently and effectively. As State Senator, he will work to expand vocational training programs in our high schools, community colleges and universities. Alan believes we need a workforce trained for the good-paying jobs of the future so we can attract the employers and create the jobs we need right here in Southern Oregon.
Alan has led numerous successful initiatives in Southern Oregon to improve our quality life. He took the nearly defunct Ashland YMCA and helped them get their finances on track, navigate building a new facility, and hire a now nationally-recognized Executive Director, proving that you can successfully run a nonprofit like you run a small business. Today, the Ashland YMCA has over 7,500 members. Alan won the Ashland YMCA Outstanding Volunteer Award in 2003 in recognition of his service to our community.
As a member of the Ashland School Board, Alan vowed to help balance the budget and stand up for teachers. He successfully negotiated new contracts with school employees to stabilize employment. He helped balance the school budget and add new programs to help improve graduation rates while preventing teacher layoffs during his time on the board.
When Ashland Community Hospital was struggling to provide quality care for the community, Alan, alongside late Senator Alan Bates, helped negotiate a settlement that got the hospital back on its feet. The improvements the hospital was able to make paved the way for the future partnership with Asante Health, which Alan was honored to help negotiate.
Alan has tirelessly served our community for decades in various volunteer, board, and elected positions. He served on the Ashland School Board for eight years before winning a term as Mayor of Ashland from 2001-2004. Currently, Alan serves on the Rogue Valley Area Commission on Transportation, the City of Ashland Airport Commission, the Ashland Rotary Board, the Ashland Ski Association Board, and the Asante Hospital Quality and Finance Committees.
Alan's past community service includes the Ashland Rotary, Ashland Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, City of Medford Parking Commission, Ashland High School Booster Club, Ashland City Council, Ashland Little League Board of Directors, Rogue Community College, City of Ashland Budget and Audit Committees, Ashland YMCA, Ashland Booster Club, and Interfaith Care Community of Ashland.
Alan has been recognized for his service to our community with the Ashland Rotary Rotarian of the Year award, Ashland Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year award, Ashland YMCA Outstanding Volunteer award, Ashland Elks Distinguished Citizen award, Rogue Community College Outstanding Citizen Award, Southern Oregon University Presidents Medal, and Medford Chamber of Commerce First Citizen award.
- Graduated Ashland High School 1969
- Southern Oregon University Division of Continuing Education – Accounting Classes
- Oregon National Guard (1969-1975)
- General Motors School of Merchandising & Management
- Lithia Motors (1968 – 1981)
- Valley Chevrolet (1981 – 1985)
- Southern Oregon Subaru (1983 – Present)
- TC Chevrolet (1985 – Present)
- Airport Chevrolet (1990 – Present)
- Ashland School Board (1993-2001)
- Mayor – City of Ashland (2001-2004)
- Ashland Rotary (1986 – Present)
- City of Medford – Parking Commission (1980-1988)
- Ashland High School – Booster Club(1989 – 1993)
- Oregon Auto Dealers – Board of Directors (1991 – Present)
- Ashland School District Bargaining Committee (1995 & 1998)
- City of Ashland – City Council (1997-98)
- Ashland Little League – Board of Directors (Past President)
- Rogue Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization (1998-2004)
- City of Ashland All Stars – Coach
- Ashland Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors (2001-2004)
- Rogue Community College – Building Consultant (1977)
- City of Ashland – Budget Committee
- City of Ashland – Audit Committee
- Ashland Ski Association – Past president
- Ashland YMCA – Past President (1988 – 1997)
- Ashland Booster Club – Past President
- Interfaith Care Community of Ashland – Advisor
- Medford New Car Dealers Association (1972 – Present, Past President)
- Rogue Valley Area Commission on Transportation (1998 – Present)
- National Automobile Dealers Association Charitable Foundation Ambassador
- City of Ashland – Airport Commission (1992-Present)
- Ashland Rotary Club – Board of Directors
- Ashland Ski Association – Board of Directors
- Asante – Hospital Quality Committee
- Asante – Finance Committee