Clean Energy Jobs Work Group on
Chair: Senator Michael Dembrow, Senate District 23
During the 2017 session, the Senate and House environment committees held a series of joint meetings to hear from experts regarding state and regional cap-and-invest policies and programs. This led to the introduction of the Clean Energy Jobs bill, Senate Bill 1070, at the end of the session. It is now time for more detailed work on individual components of an Oregon program. The Regulated Entities Work Group was created to review and make recommendations on specific components of a cap-and-invest program for Oregon. Work group recommendations and outcomes will be reported to a joint meeting of the Senate and House environment committees in later November.
Work Group Charge:
Discuss compliance with cap-and-invest, flexibility, and cost containment with regard to regulated entities.
Policy Questions to Answer:
- How would a cap-and-invest program interact with regulated industries?
- How would energy-intensive and trade-exposed (EITE) entities likely be determined, and how would EITE determinations likely play out for key Oregon industries?
- How could cost containment mechanisms be designed fairly? For example, if we decide to offer free allowances to some industries in order to control leakage, what are the implications for auction revenue generation and for reducing emissions? Should free allowances be time-limited? How will we be assured that EITEs will in fact produce fewer emissions over time?
Work group agendas and meeting materials will be posted on this webpage. The workgroup is being staffed by Beth Patrino, committee analyst. Beth can be reached by phone at 503-986-1751 or by email at Beth.Patrino@oregonlegislature.gov.
All meetings will be held in Hearing Room 50, State Capitol.
- September 21, 2017: 1 PM – 2:45 PM (video)
- October 17, 2017: 1 PM – 3 PM
- November 2, 2017: 10 AM – 12 PM
The work group meetings will also be livestreamed. To access the livestream videos, please navigate to the Legislative Audio and Video webpage and scroll down to "Live and Upcoming Meetings" to find the correct work group. Recordings of past work group meetings will also be linked under the Work Group Agenda and Materials section below.
Public Comments for Work Group on Regulated Entities:
Work Group Agendas and Materials:
Clean Energy Jobs Website Navigation: