Oregon House Republican Caucus
House Republican Leader Mike McLane
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1400
Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, H-395, Salem, Oregon 97301
Email the House Republican Leader: Rep.MikeMclane@oregonlegislature.gov
From investing in a more efficient, affordable and transparent system of government to prioritizing investments in Oregon students and workers, House Republicans have laid out an agenda for the 2017 legislative session that has the potential to make an immediate positive impact in the lives of Oregonians.
Take a look at some of our ideas and priorities below:
Oregon House Republicans 2017 Legislative Agenda
Deliver Efficient, Affordable Government to Oregon Taxpayers
- Rebuild state agency budgets from the ground up by requiring agencies to provide a thorough accounting of how they are spending taxpayer dollars and find areas within budgets to increase efficiencies and eliminate waste.
- Take steps toward stabilizing Oregon's pension crisis by modernizing our approach to funding public employee retirement accounts.
- Require tax credits to be considered individually, preventing the politically-motivated shell game of so called "revenue neutral" tax bills.
Hold State Government to Higher Standards of Transparency & Accountability
- Establish an impeachment process so that when rare and extreme circumstances arise, appropriate action may be taken. (Oregon is the only state in the nation without a mechanism for executive branch impeachment)
- Prevent well-connected political insiders from gaining an unfair advantage in our political process by requiring senior level government staffers to abide by cooling-off period before accepting a job lobbying Oregon state government.
- Take concrete steps toward improving Oregon's public records laws:
- Require regular reauthorizations of each public records exemption.
- Set a consistent, reasonable standard for fees associated with the production of public records.
Prioritize Economic Growth
- Foster a pro-growth economic environment that provides community employers with the flexibility and stability they need to grow and expand.
- Promote policies that allow Oregon businesses to remain competitive in the regional and global economy.
- Deliver a robust road and infrastructure investment package that addresses seismic deficiencies, reduces carbon emissions by reducing congestion, and allows Oregonians to travel safely and efficiently.
Invest in our Students & Workforce
- Prioritize funding for our K-12 schools to ensure that our students and teachers have the resources they need to achieve success.
- Allow parents to enroll their children at schools tailored to their unique needs by eliminating the sunset on Oregon's open enrollment law.
- Invest in career and technical education programs that provide Oregonians with the skills they need to be successful in the workforce.
- Take immediate action to address Oregon's housing crisis by expediting the process of constructing new housing units and addressing the underlying factors that have led to a shortage of available units.
Make Rural Oregon a Priority in Salem
- Advocate for the perspectives of rural small businesses and Oregon's natural resource-reliant industries in all policy discussions.
- Protect rural communities from one-size-fits-all government mandates that fail to take into account the unique challenges they face.
- Promote reasonable policies that provide our agriculture and natural resource industries the freedom they need to produce goods, while also maintaining a healthy respect for our environment.
Strengthen The Integrity of Oregon Elections
- Support efforts to establish an independent redistricting process and deliver a more equitable system of elections to Oregonians.
- Put a stop to the practice of politicians using their incumbency to provide an advantage to hand-picked successors.
Keep Our Promise to Oregon Veterans
- Fully fund Ballot Measure 96, keeping our promise to Oregon veterans and honoring the will of Oregon voters who overwhelmingly supported the measure.
We hope you will stay in touch with us throughout the 2017 session. We post regular updates on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well on our news release page. If you have any questions about proposed bills or the legislative process, please feel free to contact the House Republican Office at (503) 986-1400.