On Thursday, April 23rd the Joint Emergency Board met in a remote session in order to allocate over $30 million to support Oregon's greatest needs and fill gaps federal assistance has yet to meet. The Emergency Board focused on those who have been left out of federal relief funds or other public benefits. I am grateful for their work and the relief this will provide to Oregonians and small businesses.
Below is a break down of the approved funds:
- Safe Shelter and Rent Assistance - $12 million
- $3.5 million for safe shelter/social distancing alternatives for vulnerable populations.
- $8.5 million for rent assistance for individuals who have lost income due to the pandemic.
- Small Business Assistance - $10 million
- Grants or loans through community lenders for small businesses with no more than 25 employees that are impacted by the pandemic restrictions and have not received support from the federal CARES Act.
- Note: The $10 million is made up of $5 million from the Emergency Fund matched with $5 million from existing funds in the Oregon Business Development Department.
- Oregon Worker Relief Fund - $10 million
- Community-based wage assistance program for laid off workers who do not qualify for unemployment benefits due to immigration status or other factors.
- Domestic Violence Housing Support - $2 million
- Emergency housing for victims of domestic and sexual violence.
- Long-Term Care Worker Training and Testing - $3.35 million
- Coronavirus training and testing resources for workers serving very vulnerable Oregonians. This allocation may be replaced by federal response dollars.
In March the Legislature created the Joint Special Committee on Coronavirus Response in order to gather information from public health experts as well as economic analysts to provide the Oregon Legislature with a plan to respond and intervene into the current crisis with solutions that will protect the health of Oregonians and the state's economy.
Please visit the Committee's page on the Oregon Legislative Information System (OLIS) by clicking here.
This chart reflect the policies the committee is considering, view by clicking here.
Watch past meetings: 3/18/20, 3/20/20, 3/23/20, 3/24/20
Upcoming meeting(s): TBD