Educators and Students
Guided Capitol Tours for School Groups
Guided school tours are available for student groups from the fourth grade up. One chaperone for every 10 students is required. Chaperones and teachers must stay with the group throughout the tour.
Call 503-986-1388 to schedule your tour now.
Rules for Tour Groups
While Oregon’s Capitol is yours to visit, it is also a place of business. Please be sure your students follow these rules when on a tour:
- The legislature may be in session during your visit, and some areas of the building may not be open. Observe closure signs, and remain quiet in the hallways, chamber galleries and offices.
- In consideration of others, please be quiet and orderly. One adult per 10 students is required. Chaperones should stay with their group and supervise at all times.
- When using stairs and hallways, stay to the right and behind your guide.
- Food, gum and beverages are not allowed on the tour.
- Flash photography is not allowed during sessions in the House and Senate Chambers.
- Do not slide down the staircase in the rotunda.
- Backpacks are not permitted on the tower tours.
Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled tour. Your school tour leader should check in at the information desk located on the first floor. Arriving early will allow for restroom breaks before your tour begins. Late arrivals take away from your tour time and experience.
If a visit is schedule with your legislator, please try to schedule the appointment time after your guided tour. Please let us know in advance if you are meeting with your legislator(s).
Buses may drop off and pick-up in front of the Capitol. Please coordinate your plans with the driver for pick-up times. Street parking around the Capitol is metered.
The ADA ramp is located on the east end of the Capitol. Please inform us of any special needs requests.