Fire and Bronze
Oregon's state capital has had a tumultuous history. Over the years, the government seat moved from Oregon City to Salem to Corvallis—then back to Salem. Two state Capitol buildings have burned to the ground and been replaced. The main structure of the current building was completed in 1938. Two wings were added in 1977.
The First Capitol Building
Before Oregon became a territory in 1848, the Oregon Country provisional government selected Oregon City as the capital. Intense debate between Whigs and Democrats resulted in the legislature designating Salem as the capital. The governor and Oregon Supreme Court, however, refused to move.
An act of Congress settled the matter in Salem’s favor, only to be overturned in favor of Corvallis. After years of wrangling, the matter was settled, and a new Capitol in Salem was built and dedicated. It burned down in a mysterious fire 11 days later and had to be rebuilt.
Read more about
the 19th century argument over the seat of Oregon’s government.
The Second Capitol Building
Oregon's second Capitol building was the seat of government through intense debates over direct legislation through popular vote (the predecessor to our initiative system), and women’s suffrage. The building burned to the ground the night of April 25, 1935. No foul play was suspected.
Read more about
the second capitol building of Oregon, or view more
Our Current Building and the Oregon Pioneer
The main structure of our current State Capitol was completed in 1938, at the height of the Great Depression, with the help of the federal government. Sheathed in brilliant white Vermont marble, the building is a landmark example of Modernist Art Deco design. The pinnacle of the building is a gilded bronze statue of the Oregon Pioneer.
Take a virtual tour of the Capitol
here, or read more about
Oregon’s capitol building.